RE: External Sorting and Pagination Redux

RE: External Sorting and Pagination Redux

David Erickson-2
Fab did you get a chance to look over the patch I submitted yet?
-David

Fabrizio Giustina
On 7/10/05, David Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Fab did you get a chance to look over the patch I submitted yet?
> -David

Working on it...
looks pretty good, but I am still trying to evaluate a different
approach in order to pass the full list size: instead of a separate
tag attribute I will probably end up in defining an interface with a
getter for the full list size and the current sublist. That's what
usually you do when returning paginated list from a data layer so it
should probably be easier to integrate: displaytag could automatically
understand if a list is partial simply checking if the source object
implements this interface...
thoughts?

fabrizio

RE: External Sorting and Pagination Redux

David Erickson-2
That is definitly another possiblity.  I figured mine was easier on the end
user since you can still use any kind of collection you want, and then just
specify the total size of your results.  I use hibernate for my data layer
and almost all results are returned as a normal list, so I would have to
convert that list to an implementation of your interface to get it to work,
which seems like more effort.  I've been using my method now for a solid
week and its been working great.  Truly to switch to server paging the only
thing you need to give the displaytag with my patch is the object containing
the full size of the list... which ought to be simple to obtain.

-David

Also I ought to mention before I made my patch I looked at the other
solutions that had been proposed, and the code they had given... and they
just seemed too complex, and required doing a lot more and gaining nothing.
I think the beauty of my patch is in its simplicity of requiring very little
from the developer, simply the overall size of the result set.

-David