Multiple tables on one page

emiles

I’m using 2 tables in one JSP page.  Each table is connected to its own PaginatedList object so that I can retrieve partial lists from the database, etc.

Here’s the problem:

Let’s say table1 has 3 pages and table2 has 2 pages.  When I go to page 2 on table1, table2 also changes to page 2.  How can I uniquely id each of the tables?  I’ve tried using the ‘id’ parameter, the ‘uid’ parameter but the URL always displays ‘page=2’, so when I retrieve the data for each table, the code cannot differentiate which table wants a different page.  Using ‘id’ and ‘uid’ doesn’t seem to do anything.

Are there any examples out there?  The documentation is very bleak in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Multiple tables on one page

Paslaru Narcis
Hello,

You may try to put a parameter in the requestUri for each table. The parameter should be called tableName and use it as a discriminator in your servlet/action/etc.

Cheers,
Narcis

2010/1/22 Eric Miles <[hidden email]>

I’m using 2 tables in one JSP page.  Each table is connected to its own PaginatedList object so that I can retrieve partial lists from the database, etc.

Here’s the problem:

Let’s say table1 has 3 pages and table2 has 2 pages.  When I go to page 2 on table1, table2 also changes to page 2.  How can I uniquely id each of the tables?  I’ve tried using the ‘id’ parameter, the ‘uid’ parameter but the URL always displays ‘page=2’, so when I retrieve the data for each table, the code cannot differentiate which table wants a different page.  Using ‘id’ and ‘uid’ doesn’t seem to do anything.

Are there any examples out there?  The documentation is very bleak in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Multiple tables on one page

emiles
I tried that.  Are there any other attributes I need to set?

Here's one of the tables:
                <display:table
                        id="receivedTable"
                        name="receivedPaginatedList"
                        requestURI="view.html"
                        class="displayTable"
                        export="true">

The second one has a different 'id' and 'name'.

2010/1/25 Naveen Namburi <[hidden email]>
[...]

Rick.Wellman

Then you must have something else going on.  First, try making sure each table works correctly when it is the only one on the page (just comment out the other one).  Once you have verified that, you should be able to just make sure they have a different id=”xxx”.  If that does not work, you can directly email me your entire JSP but it really is just that simple which is why the documentation is so “bleak”… there just is not more to it.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com

Re: Multiple tables on one page

emiles
I do have both tables paginating.  It's just that when I hit page 2 on one table, both tables go to page 2.  The url for the page link is '...?page=2' and with 2 tables, I'm expecting something like '...?d-XXXXX-p=1&d-XXXXX-p=2' and I'm not seeing this.

I'm using Spring & Struts with interceptors, stylesheets, decorators, etc.  These things should not be interfering, could they?  They're pretty common things to use.

Thanks for looking into this.

2010/1/25 Rick.Wellman <[hidden email]>

Then you must have something else going on.  First, try making sure each table works correctly when it is the only one on the page (just comment out the other one).  Once you have verified that, you should be able to just make sure they have a different id=”xxx”.  If that does not work, you can directly email me your entire JSP but it really is just that simple which is why the documentation is so “bleak”… there just is not more to it.

Re: Multiple tables on one page

emerson sanchez
I was able to implement multiple tables in one page and got no problem like yours. Each table's pagination works separately. I just used uid and ommmited the id attribute. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Emerson

Check me out!

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Get your preferred Email name!

Re: Multiple tables on one page

emiles
Are you using a PaginatedList class?  I want to handle paging and sorting externally because I only want to retrieve 1 page worth of records from the database instead of possibly millions of records.

I'm currently working on implementing this solution:
http://code.google.com/p/pagingappfuse/wiki/PagingSorting

Thanks.

2010/1/25 emerson sanchez <[hidden email]>
I was able to implement multiple tables in one page and got no problem like yours. Each table's pagination works separately. I just used uid and ommmited the id attribute. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Emerson

Check me out!

Re: Multiple tables on one page

emiles
To all:
I finally figured out how to put multiple tables on one page without pagination of one table affecting the other.  The 'PaginatedList' does nothing for you if you want to have multiple tables because it generates "page=X" parameter/value pairs in the request url regardless of using the 'id' or 'uid' attributes.  There is no way to differentiate which table is paging.  You have to use the ParamEncoder class for multiple tables (not needed for a single table) to decode which table is paging or sorting.  Also, my whole purpose was to avoid retrieving all records, I just want to retrieve 1 page worth and leave the other million+ records in the database.

Anyway, I ended up extending the PaginatedList class and adding the ability for it to be used 1 or multiple times on the same page.

I am using version 1.1.1.  I have not upgraded to 1.2 because of project restrictions.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Eric Miles <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you using a PaginatedList class?  I want to handle paging and sorting externally because I only want to retrieve 1 page worth of records from the database instead of possibly millions of records.

I'm currently working on implementing this solution:
http://code.google.com/p/pagingappfuse/wiki/PagingSorting

Thanks.

2010/1/25 emerson sanchez <[hidden email]>

I was able to implement multiple tables in one page and got no problem like yours. Each table's pagination works separately. I just used uid and ommmited the id attribute. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Emerson

Check me out!

Re: Multiple tables on one page

emerson sanchez
That's great. Can you send me your source code, it could help me a lot on my next project. I would like to implement paginated list since we need to display millions of records for thousands of users that would be a great help. That is if its ok with you.

Thanks in advance,
Emerson

Check me out!

[...]

New Email addresses available on Yahoo!
Hurry before someone else does!

Re: Multiple tables on one page

meeprophone
emiles wrote
I’m using 2 tables in one JSP page.  Each table is connected to its own
PaginatedList object so that I can retrieve partial lists from the database,
etc.

Here’s the problem:

Let’s say table1 has 3 pages and table2 has 2 pages.  When I go to page 2 on
table1, table2 also changes to page 2.  How can I uniquely id each of the
tables?
This is an old thread but I just had this very problem using PaginatedList, and have a simpler solution than any I've seen posted. In fact I couldn't find a single worked example.

I too wanted to "namespace" my tables so the paging parameters don't collide.

If you're using PaginatedList and external paging, by default the page parameter is always called 'page'. But you don't need to (re-)implement anything: just us the setProperty tag inside your table to change the undocumented property 'pagination.pagenumber.param'.

e.g.

<display:table name="${myPaginatedList}" sort="external" >
  <display:setProperty name="pagination.pagenumber.param" value="myPageNumber"/>
</display:table>

Done! It would probably be better if the name was derived from the uid or htmlId properties, but it isn't.