Dynamic Export Reports

Mariano Molina
Hi my name is Mariano Molina, I am working as a java developer since the last 5 years.
Now I am using the displaytag library but a have a bit deal with it.
One section of my application, has a "dynamic report". A user searchs by a specific criteria, then the app, shows a report with 2 columns by default then, there are some chechboxes that hide or unhide other columns.

Ex:
Report:
Name          Last Name
Thomas         Robinson

The User checks the box that enables the Country  so..

Report:
Name          Last Name      Country
Thomas         Robinson        USA

This is very easy using some javascripts code. Note that the entered table had been rendered by the displaytag library, the I just use javascript in order to hide or unhide some columns.

The problem is when I want to export the data, because I can't find the way to enable or disable the media after the tables had been rendered by the displaytag (by defalut all the columns will be exported by I just want to export the ones that the user see in the screen).

I know that if in my code I don't want some column to be shown during export, I can use the column media  attribute to "hard code" the report behaviour, however I don't know what to do if the table had been rendered yet.

I will really appreciate your help on that.

Thanks!

Re: Dynamic Export Reports

Ed Webb
Mariano Molina wrote:

> Hi my name is Mariano Molina, I am working as a java developer since
> the last 5 years.
> Now I am using the displaytag library but a have a bit deal with it.
> One section of my application, has a "dynamic report". A user searchs
> by a specific criteria, then the app, shows a report with 2 columns by
> default then, there are some chechboxes that hide or unhide other columns.
>
> Ex:
> Report:
> Name          Last Name
> Thomas         Robinson
>
> The User checks the box that enables the _Country_  so..
>
> Report:
> Name          Last Name      Country
> Thomas         Robinson        USA
>
> This is very easy using some javascripts code. Note that the entered
> table had been rendered by the displaytag library, the I just use
> javascript in order to hide or unhide some columns.
>
> The problem is when I want to export the data, because I can't find
> the way to enable or disable the media _after _the tables had been
> rendered by the displaytag (by defalut all the columns will be
> exported by I just want to export the ones that the user see in the
> screen).
You will have to find some way to send information about which columns
are visible to your web application when the user uses  the export link.
That way when you construct the <display:table> tag you can include only
these columns. The export link always involves a call to your server and
your server is where the export data is compiled and rendered. Your
server is going to need to be told which columns the client has visible
by some method.

Ed!